"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice." - Wayne Dyer

Translate

Friday, September 11, 2015

Potty Diaries: Day 3



 

Dear Diary,

Today was kind of disappointing; Nico experienced regression for the first time, which is completely normal, I just didn't expect it to happen so soon. At this age toddlers are learning how to express themselves. Nico goes through periods where he really wants to please me, and phases where he could care less whether I approve of his behavior or not; I call those, "Rough Days." 

Today was a Rough Day.

Nico defiantly used the floor when he went pee-pee, alerting me each time after he was already finished. And the times when I took him to the potty he refused to use it even when he was reminded of his potty reward, which is okay. To me, the most important thing is that he feels comfortable with going to the bathroom; it is not the time or place for strict discipline in order to avoid tears and outright refusal to even sit on the potty.

The one time he did use the potty was when I caught him in the middle of doing a number 2 on the floor. I carried him running to the potty where he finished! Afterwards, I cleaned up the mess with toilet paper and put it in the potty to show him that numbers always go in there.

3 Things I learned about Nico and Potty Time:
  1. He likes to pee on the floor (I assume this is true of most boys when they start)
  2. Regression is normal
  3. He enjoys the Potty Song I made up to go along with Number 2's
Though I was a little discouraged to discover that he enjoyed peeing on the floor, and was tempted to give up and put him back in a diaper, I stuck it out until bath time, which is when we put his diaper on for the night.

 At the end of the day, it helped to focus on his small accomplishment, rather than dwell on the things that were out of my control. 


Sincerely,
Sabrina (aka The KUL Mom)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Comment