Family meals should always be an important time for sharing your lives and bonding with your family. That does not mean that is has to be a serious time of deep conversation and reflection (though it can be); the important thing is that you spend time interacting with one another.
It seems that all the technological advances over the years have resulted in children being more attached to the internet or video games then to their own parents.
Dinner time can be a time to interrupt the constant distraction of electronics.
TURN EVERY THING OFF!!
And sit down to eat together, at least one meal a day where everyone is at the table.
Cooking a meal for your family does not have to be a time consuming and tedious task! Quick, simple meals can leave your family pleasantly surprised, entertained, and satisfied!
This week, make your Sunday Dinner special by trying Asparagus and Sausage Carbonara
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb thin asparagus, trimmed and cut into 3-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 2 large shallots, sliced
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper, divided, plus additional to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 3-oz links all-natural, cooked chicken sausage, diced
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 8 oz whole-wheat spaghetti
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet on medium-high, heat oil. Add asparagus, shallots, salt and 1/8 tsp pepper and sauté for about 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until lightly browned. Add 1/3 cup water and cook for 3 to 4 minutes more, until asparagus is crisp-tender and liquid evaporates. Reduce heat to low, add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until garlic has softened, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Increase heat to medium and add sausage to skillet. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until lightly browned and heated through. Add to bowl with asparagus.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese and 1/8 tsp pepper; set aside. To boiling water, add pasta and cook al dente according to package directions. Drain and return pasta to pot, off of the heat. Immediately add egg mixture to hot pasta and stir vigorously until thickened and creamy, about 1 minute. Add asparagus mixture and stir to combine. Season with additional pepper. Divide among serving bowls, top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese, dividing evenly.
**I used a Turkey Keilbasa sausage instead of a chicken sausage. Pedro and Nico both LOVED this!! I recommend it for anyone who is trying to convince their kids that veggies can be super yummy!**
Buen Provecho! =)